You're excited that your company is moving to Gmail for Work. You just wish you didn't have to sign out of your personal Gmail account to use the work account. Well, you don't!
There are several ways to log into multiple Gmail accounts at once. The two primary ways are:
- Leverage the "Add account" setting in Gmail (or any other Google Apps service)
- Leverage Chrome Profiles
From within Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Google.com and other Google services. You can select "Add account". In the upper right of the browser window you'll see your picture or your email address, clicking here will reveal several Settings options, including "Add account".
Once the other account is added, you can use this same menu to toggle back and forth between accounts.
One important thing to keep in mind is that whichever account you sign into first, that will be your "Default". So you probably want to log into the account you'll use the most first.
Chrome Profiles are how Umzuzu personnel separate their personal Google Services from their Google for Work applications. Chrome Profiles offer more control and flexibility than does the "Add account" setting.
Chrome Profiles let everyone have their own personalized copies of Chrome on the same computer. This allows a user to keep extensions, bookmarks, themes, and settings separate from everyone else’s. Chrome Profiles allow us to have specific Chrome applications, settings, and extensions on our Gmail for Work accounts while keeping our personal Gmail accounts completely separate.
Let's say you use YesWare at work for example. You may not want YesWare to prompt you with settings and menus when using your personal Gmail account. Chrome Profiles allow you to do this. You might also have totally different bookmarks related to work vs. those you keep for your personal interests. Here again, Chrome Profiles come in very handy.
To Create a Chrome Profile
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and select Settings.
- In the “Users” section, click Add new user.
- A confirmation dialog appears, choose a picture and enter a name for the new Chrome user. Note: When you add a new Chrome user a desktop shortcut is created by default. If you don’t want a desktop shortcut uncheck the “Add desktop shortcut” checkbox.
Creating a desktop shortcut for new users allows each Chrome user on your computer to quickly access their profile. Different profiles are easily differentiated on the desktop by the different names and pictures associated with each profile.
- Click Create.
- A new window for the user appears, with a picture you've chosen for the user in the top corner. Here, you can sign in to Chrome with a Google Account to associate the account with the user. Once signed in, all the bookmarks, apps, extensions, theme, and browser settings for the user will be synced to the account. Learn more about signing in to Chrome
If you prefer, you can also choose to skip this step and not sign in. Settings for the user will be saved only on your computer instead.
An important note about Chrome Profiles. The ability to add multiple users to Chrome is intended to provide a quick and simple way to set up personalized copies of Chrome for people who are already sharing Chrome on the same computer today. It isn’t intended to secure your data against other people using your computer. To truly protect your data from being seen by others, please use the built-in user accounts in your operating system of choice.