The Kansas City region has a rich ecosystem of Google Apps partners serving a wide range of businesses, governments, schools and nonprofits from 1 to 100,000+ employees.
This week we took the opportunity to all get together for the first time. It was great to see so many companies participate. We were fortunate to have team members from:
- Oppor Infrastructure
- Tech Express
- Reflective Group
- Peak Performance IT
- Dr. Dave's IT Support
- 5 Star Net
- Accurso Tech
- ...and yours truly Umzuzu
These companies have moved more than 1 million people to Google Apps for Business, Government, Education and Nonprofit. We've worked with people on every continent except Antartica! The earliest Google Apps project was in 2006 when Google launched Gmail for Your Domain. It's amazing to see how far we've come in 7 years!
Today more than 5 million businesses leverage Google Apps!
The group discussed a wide range of business and technical issues, a few highlights.
Some Favorite Marketplace & Chrome Apps:
- FlashPanel is a powerful, user-friendly cloud management tool for Google Apps administrators that helps them better control and secure their Google Apps domains, delegate granular privileges to non-IT employees, and automate common management tasks.
- Scraper is a Google Chrome extension for getting data out of web pages and into spreadsheets.
- Rapportive shows you everything about your contacts right inside your inbox. You can immediately see what people look like, where they're based, and what they do. You can establish rapport by mentioning shared interests. You can grow your network by connecting on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and more. And you can record thoughts for later by leaving notes.
- Chrome Remote Desktop allows users to remotely access another computer through Chrome browser or a Chromebook. Computers can be made available on an short-term basis for scenarios such as ad hoc remote support, or on a more long-term basis for remote access to your applications and files.
- Smartsheet is a spreadsheet-easy online project management tool with an unlimited number of FREE collaborators. Power your team with automated reminders, attachments, Gantt charts, and a mobile app!
- OBi Device + Google Voice with your regular phone to make and receive calls in the USA & Canada for FREE!!*
Unanimous #1 time and money saving tip for any sized organization:
- It's time to ditch Microsoft Outlook.
We know Outlook is familiar and comfortable. We heard the exact same story about your Blackberry. After weeks, months or years depending on your level of stubbornness, you relented and let the Blackberry go. You listened to the people you're paying to present your best options. It might have taken a week or two before you became comfortable with your iOS or Android device, it may have even "hurt" for a while BUT would you ever, ever go back?
Outlook is in the exact same situation. Outlook is slower. Outlook is less functional. Outlook is less reliable. Outlook is not automatically backed up. Outlook is more expensive. Outlook is more difficult to support. Outlook is not mobile. Outlook for Mac is a subpar at best. In short, Outlook is outdated.
Outlook was the de facto standard for more than a decade. We get it, most of us used Outlook for years and many of us helped organizations implement Exchange and Outlook - we know Outlook better than you do. We don't think dropping Outlook can save you time and money, we know it can.
Want to learn more about becoming a Gmail master?
- Keyboard Shortcuts and Search Operators
- Gmail for iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Let us know if we can help.